Today I am happy to open the tour for Emily Sadovna’s debut novel “The Haunting Of Violet Gray” with a Q&A!
Q&A with Emily Sadovna, author of The Haunting of Violet Gray
Hi Emily! Can you tell us about The Haunting of Violet Gray in ten words or less?
– It’s a tale of witches, time travel and conspiracies.
1) How does it feel to be publishing your first book?
– Exciting and terrifying. I’m proud of what I have achieved and learnt in a relatively short time.
2 ) Who is your favourite character in the book?
– That is tough, it’s like choosing your favourite child. I think Violet, for her sense of adventure and courage. There is lots about her that also irritate me.
3) Who was the first person to read The Haunting of Violet Gray?
– My husband, Mike (who never reads!). The next was my friend and neighbour. She is a journalist and writer and after sharing a bottle of red wine, I finally had the confidence to show her the first few chapters which at the time was very rough. We then challenged each other to beat the 10,000 words mark. I don’t want to gloat, but I was first past the post.
4) Tell us how you will be spending Hallowe’en this year.
– I will be lighting a candle with my family we will make wishes for the year to come. Then I will be taking my six and four year old daughters trick or treating in the local neighbourhood. Praying they will sleep after the sugar overload, I’ll relax with some mulled cider and a spooky film.
5) What is your earliest memory of reading?
– Peter and Jane books at school then I truly fell in love with reading when I discovered The Worst Witch, Anne of Green Gables, The Chronicles of Narnia and Roald Dahl.
6) How do you treat yourself after a day of writing?
– At the risk of sounding corny, the writing is my way relaxing. I do like to toast a good day of writing with some red wine and reading the latest installment to my husband.
7) What is the most magical thing you have ever encountered?
– Weirdly, a lot of coincidences have occurred since completing my book. I can’t say too much or I will give the story away. But a lot of the plot I imagined are beginning to happen in the real world.
8) Will there be a sequel to The Haunting of Violet Gray?
– Oh yes. Cat has a lot of work to do. I have already begun.
Emily Sadovna is the author of The Haunting of Violet Gray, available now (ISBN 9781527230019).
Cat is inexplicably drawn to a beautiful mansion where she is seduced into the world of modern witchcraft. Upon discovering a witch’s journal, Cat anchors her mind to the summer of 1940 where she witnesses events that lead to a secret occultist ritual. Plagued by the paranormal happennings of the house and the desperate whispers of a long-dead girl, can Cat piece together a series clues to prevent a repeat of the disastrous ritual? What terrible price must be paid to stop it happening again? This time, on a devastating scale, engineered for the twenty- first century…
Born in Essex, Emily Sadovna grew up near Oxford. Trained in fashion journalism, Emily’s career began as a window dresser and freelance stylist. Later, Emily launched her own deli and catering business and learnt the art of chocolate making. She went on to qualify as a food and nutrition teacher at a secondary school and now teaches primary school children to cook in after school clubs.
Emily’s pen name originates from her Polish grandfather. Her imagination derives from a line of formidable women all with wonderful stories to tell. She lives with her husband and their two daughters on the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire. The Haunting of Violet Gray is her first novel.